Sunday, December 20, 2015

Pursuit of a Lonely Cache

On Saturdays I usually spend some time with my "Little" from the Big Brothers, Big Sisters Program. I've been introducing her to geocaching and I think she has been enjoying it so far. It was only slightly above freezing this Saturday so we found one geocache together before we decided to move inside to somewhere warm. We opted to head to the library where I showed her how to sign into geocaching.com and log her finds on the computer. I brought her to my area's holiday party a few weeks ago and she even won some prizes! Here's the group photo from our holiday party, GC654F2.
2015 GeoRoc Holiday Party and Family Event
After I dropped her off, I headed back out into the cold to find some geocaches on my own. First, I wanted to attempt a new multi that came out a few weeks ago. It was put out by an Eagle Scout who, along with some other boys, were creating trails in the area for their final project. They had also placed multiple benches and made bird and owls houses for the area. I had no idea these trails had been put in here until I was searching for this cache. That's one of the things I love about geocaching; it brings me to places I would have otherwise never discovered. The final container also looked like a wrapped Christmas present, ribbon and all. Check out the cache page here: GC67J2J
A Geocache Present!
After almost freezing my face off finding the multi, I headed over to a section of trails known as the Ontario Pathways. It once was a railway but since it was abandoned, it has been converted into quite a long section of continuous section of trail. It's a very popular trail for geocaches in my area.

There is one geocache along the trail that I attempted to find last winter, but DNF'ed because of the snow. Quite a few cachers have also not been able to find it, so I reached out to a fellow cacher who had found it in 2013 and they were able to give me a hint.

Lots of DNFs..
I wasn't sure what to expect, but after over 30 minutes of searching in the cold, I found the cache! It hadn't been found in over a year and in fact I had found it on it's 14 month anniversary of being lonely. Check out this cache page here: GC3PV71
Last find 10/19/14
Today my boyfriend, McDoogins, and I had his family Christmas party to attend but luckily there were a few geocaches and quite a few Munzees nearby. We were able to sneak away to find two caches and I was able to capture quite a few virtual Munzees.




No comments:

Post a Comment